CHORLTON-CUM-HARDY LOCAL HISTORY
As Published in 1910
Recorded in Chronological order
610 A.D. Settlement of the Saxons and founding of the township of Cheorl-tun.
1512. In this year, it is believed, the first Christian Church (Chapel) was built in Chorlton and dedicated to St. Clement.
1603. Alexander Barlow and Alexander Barlow the younger, both of Barlow Hall, knighted by James I. on the day of his coronation.
1620. April 21, Sir Alexander Barlow the younger, of Barlow Mall, buried in the Collegiate Church. Manchester, by torchlight.
1745. November 30, some of the Pretender’s followers encamped on site now practically embraced by Whitelow Road, High Lane, and Manchester Road, and afterwards known as Scotshill.
1780. St. Clement’s Church rebuilt.
1785. August 2, Barlow Hall Estate passed, by purchase, to the Edgerton’s of Tatton.
1789. August 10, Rev. Joshua Brookes, an eccentric character (made famous by Mrs. Linnaeus Banks in “The Manchester Man”, nominated to the perpetual Curacy of Chorlton.
1790. December 23, Rev. Joshua Brookes resigned the living of Chorlton on being appointed to a Chaplaincy in the Manchester Colle¬giate Church.
1817. February 2, Thomas Walker, a great political reformer, who, in 1794, was tried at Lancaster for conspiring to overthrow the constitution, died at Longford Hall.
1835. At the Whit-week Wakes, the last exhibition of the disgusting pastime of bull-baiting, for which Chorlton-cum-Hardy was a recognised resort.
1837. October 15, St. Clement’s Church reopened after enlargement.
1839. March 29, Chorlton formed into a distinct parish. It had pre¬viously been a Chapel in the Parish of Manchester.
1840. September 8, Foundation Stone of Lancashire Independent Col¬lege laid by George Hadfield, Esq.
1842. December 18, Opening of Organ in St. Clement’s Parish Church with full cathedral service, previously the singing had been led by a violincello played by one James Gresty.
1843. April 25, Lancashire College opened under the principalship of the Rev. Robt. Vaughan, D.D.
1857. January 1, First Post Office established in Chorlton, in connection with a small stationer’s shop in Beech Road kept by one William Nixon.
1862. November 17, Manchester Corporation Gas mains ordered to be extended from Upper Chorlton
Road to Brookbank Bridge. The Stretford Gas Company had earlier in the year begun to supply gas to some private houses on the Stretford side of the village.
1864. May 23, Regular daily Bus service began between Chorlton and Manchester.
1865. October 23, Mr. John Ireland commenced duty as Schoolmaster at the National School, Chorlton Green.
1866. June 23, St. Clement’s New Church opened for Public Worship as a Licensed Building.
1868. May 29, Union Chapel, Edge Lane, opened. Preacher : Rev. Joseph Parker, D.D.
1870. August 6, Official opening of Alexandra Park by Alderman Grave, Mayor of Manchester.
1872. March 2, Chorlton Masonic Lodge, 1387 consecrated.
1872. June 15, Foundation Stone of New Wesleyan Chapel in Manchester Road laid by James Fildes, Esq.
1873. July 2, New Wesleyan Chapel, Manchester Road, opened for public worship. Preacher: Rev. John Bedford.
1875. October 13, died at Longford Hall, at the age of 87, Chas. Jas. Stanley Walker, a Magistrate and Notable Character in Manchester life.
1876. August 2, P.C. Cock murdered whilst on duty at West Point.
1876. November 2, First Election of Representatives to the Withington Local Board. 41 gentlemen went to the poll for 15 seats.
1876. November 7, Withington Local Board formed.
1878. July 27, Foundation Stone of Masonic Hall, laid by Dr. Rains, W.M.
1879. March 19, Barlow Hall partially destroyed by Fire.
1879. May 3, National Schools, Chorlton Green (rebuilt) opened.
1879. September 20, Consecration Service at Southern Cemetery by Bishop Fraser.
1879. September 28, First Services in connection with the newly-formed Congregational Church in Chorlton-cum-Hardy, in Masonic Hall.
Preacher: Rev. Jas. A. Macfadyen, M.A., D.D.
1879. October 9, Formal opening of Southern Cemetery by Alderman C. S. Grundy, Mayor of Manchester.
1879. October 14th, First Interment in Southern Cemetery Mrs. Eliza Ann Hughes—conducted by Rev. J. Garrett, D.D.
1879. October 18, First Interment in Nonconformist Section of Southern Cemetery. Mrs. Margaret Davies.
1880. January 1, Chorlton-cum-Hardy Station. Manchester South District Railway opened for Local Traffic.
1880. August 2, Midland Express Trains began running via Chorlton.
1881 August 21, Hulme Grammar School founded from funds left by one William Hulme who died October 29, 1691.
1881. October 14, new iron footbridge erected at Jackson’s Boat. By a curious coincidence, earlier in the day the old wooden footbridge which had been in an unsafe condition for some time was washed away by a destructive flood, which also caused the River Mersey to overflow its banks for the sixth time in 10 months.
1882. February 1, The Home Office forbade the opening of any new grave in Chorlton Green Churchyard.
1882. April 2, Sunday delivery and collection of letters in Chorlton-cum-Hardy began.
1883. April 14. Foundation Stone of Congregational School-Church laid by Jno. C. Needham, Esq.
1883. September 29, Congregational School-Church opened for public worship. Preacher: Rev. J. G. Rogers, B.A.
1883. November 21, Wesleyan Chapel, Manchester Road, partially destroyed by fire.
1884. December 5, Chorlton-cum-Hardy Literary Association’s First meeting. President: Rev. J. A. Macfadyen, M.A., D.D.
1885. June 15, Settlement of Rev. Robert Mitchell as first resident minister of the Congregational Church.
1885. December 2, First Parliamentary Election in the newly constituted Stretford Division.
Contestants: Mr. (now Sir) Wm. Agnew and Sir John Wm. Maclure. Mr. Agnew elected.
1886. February 6, Chorlton Choral Union gave its first public performance in the Wesleyan Chapel. Mr. Geo. Poskitt conducted.
1886 July 8, Mr. Maclure elected for Stretford Division.
1887 January 8, Chorlton-cum-Hardy Penny Savings Bank established. 102 depositors opened accounts.
1887 January 25, Hulme Grammar School opened.
1888. August 5, Josiah Thomas Slugg, Retired Chemist, a prominent Wesleyan, Astronomer and Popular Lecturer, died.
1888. December 11, John Rylands, Millionaire Manchester Merchant. Died at Longford Hall.
1888. December 12, Chorlton-cum-Hardy Amateur Orchestral Society Founded.
1889. May 6, First Public Performance by the Amateur Orchestral Society, in the National Schoolroom. Mr. Robt. S. Prophet, Conductor.
1889 November 21, Rev. Jas. A. Macfadyen, M.A., D.D., died.
1890 February 17, Haydn’s Oratorio “The Creation” given in St. Clement’s New Church by the Chorlton-cum-Hardy Choral Society, its first public performance, under the directorship of Mr. T. M. Ferneley.
1890. June 29, Settlement of Rev. David Walters as pastor of Macfadyen Memorial Church.
1891. April 25, Stone-laying Ceremony at the Public Hall, by Lady Cunliffe Brooks.
1891. September, Whalley Range High School for Girls opened.
1891. October 1, Fallowfield and Chorlton Line opened lor Local Traffic.
Alexandra Park Station opened.
1892. April 23, Chorlton Public Hall opened.
1892. May 2, Great Central Railway through traffic via Chorlton-cum-Hardy commenced.
1892. August 22, First person cremated at the Manchester Crematorium, Mr. Thomas Morgan Brown, of Carlisle.
1892. October 21, Formal opening of the Crematorium, by His Grace The Duke of Westminster, K.G.
1893. April 16, Reading-in and declaration by the Rev. F. K. Thomas, M.A., as Rector of Chorlton-cum-Hardy, in the New Church.
1893. September 13, Corner Stone of Macfadyen Memorial Church, laid by Mrs. Macfadyen.
1894. January 24, Mr. Walter Farrow, A.R.C.O.,assumed the conductor-ship of the Chorlton-cum-Hardy Amateur Orchestral Society.
1894. July, Chorlton-cum-Hardy Horticultural Society’s First Show held.
1894. October 25, Macfadyen Memorial Church opened for public worship.
Preacher: Rev. A. B. Rowland, LL.B.
1894. November 17, First Election of Representatives to the Urban District Council of Withington. For Chorlton cum-Hardy Ward. Messrs. Bingham, Burgess, and Norquoy were the suc¬cessful candidates.
1894. December 30, Old Local Board dissolved.
l894. December 31, New Urban District Council formed.
1895. March 1, Chorlton-cum-Hardy Telephone Exchange opened.
First subscribers: J. Grimes and C. H. Watson.
1895. June 1, Chorlton Green opened as a Public Recreation Ground by James Burgess, Esq.
1895. July 20, Corner stone of New South Transept of St. Clements New Church laid.
1896. April 22, St. Clement’s New Church consecrated by Right Rev. Dr. Moorhouse, Bishop of Manchester
1896. May 16, Beech Road Recreation Ground opened by Earl Egerton of Tatton.
1896 June 10, Last Toll-bar in Whalley Range abolished.
1897 April 26, Mr. John Bostock appointed Conductor of the Amateur Orchestral Society.
1897. December 14, The George Alexander Dramatic Club gave its first public performance in the Chorlton Public Hall: “The Magistrate,” by A. W. Pinero.
1898 January I, Baronetage bestowed on Mr. Jno. Wm. Maclure, M.P.
1899 September 29, Foundation Stone of St. Werburgh’s Church laid by Earl Egerton of Tatton.
1899. November 5, First Services in connection with the newly-constituted Parish of St. Werburgh. Preacher : Rev. J. G. Lovett, B.A., Rector.
1900. January 7, Baptist Church in Chorlton-cum-Hardy, founded by Rev. G. N. Williams.
1900. April 27, Great South-to-North procession of Motor Cars passed through Chorlton-cum-Hardy.
1900. September 13, Postmaster Lucas took charge of Chorlton-cum-Hardy Post Office.
1901. January 20, Chorlton-cum-Hardy Post Office transferred from Barlow Moor Road to new quarters in Wilbraham Road.
1901. January 28, Death of Sir John Wm. Maclure, M.P.
1901. February 9, Wilbraham Road Unitarian Church opened for public worship.
Preacher: Rev. Copeland Bowie.
1901. February 24, Settlement of Rev. Maxwell R. Kirkpatrick at Macfadyen Memorial Church.
1901. February 26, Parliamentary Flection. Mr. (now Sir) C. A. Cripps, K.C., elected.
1901. April 18, on the 68th Anniversary of his call to the Ministry, Rev. Jas. Macpherson died at the age of 87. He was first Principal of the Primitive Methodist College, Alexandra Park, and founder of the Primitive Methodist Church in Chorlton-cum-Hardy.
1902. February 22, Laying of Memorial Stones of Macpherson Memorial Primitive Methodist Church.
1902. June 1, St. Werburgh’s Church opened for public worship.
1902. June 8, James Burgess, formerly member of the Withington Urban District Council, died.
1902. June 19, Rev. Caleb Scott, B.A., LL. B., D.D., retired from the Principalship of Lancashire College.
1902. July 15, Consecration of St. Werburgh’s Church by Bishop Moorhouse, D.D.
1902. September 20, Macpherson Memorial Church opening services Preacher: Rev.Thos. Mitchell.
1902. December 18, Manchester Corporation Electricity Supply first available in Chorlton-cum-Hardy. First private house in Chorlton to be lighted was “ Ebor,” Wilbraham Road; the first business premises “The Chorlton Pharmacy.”
1903 February , Chorlton-cum-Hardy Golf Club formed, under the Captaincy of W. D. Batty, Esq.
1903. February 22, Grand Performance of Gaul’s cantata. “The Holy City,” in St. Clement’s New Church by the Chorlton-cum-Hardy Amateur Orchestral Society, with a choir of 100 voices.
1903. August 22, First Show of the re-named “Chorlton-cum-Hardy Horticultural and Horse Show,” opened by J. IB. Beardoe-(Grundy, Esq., J.P.
1903. October 6, Induction of Rev. Walter F. Adeney, M.A., D.D., as Principal of Lancashire College.
1903. November 8, Chorlton-cum-Hardy Presbyterian Church of England formed.
1903. December 6, Rev. Dr. de Vlieger, M.A.. B.D., Litt. D., appointed minister-in-charge of the Presbyterian Church.
1904. March 17, Last election in Chorlton-cum-Hardy of a member of the Withington Urban District Council prior to its dissolution. No contest, Mr. John Turner elected.
1904. May 4, Chorlton-cum-Hardy Musical Society founded.
1904. August 15, Royal Assent given to bill for Amalgamation of the Withington Urban District area with the City of Manchester.
1904. August 29, Retirement of Mr. John Ireland, Schoolmaster for 39 years at the National School.
1904. September 4, High Lane Council School opened.
1904. October , Settlement of Rev. John Southall as first resident Pastor of the Macpherson Memorial Primitive Methodist Church.
1904. November 1. First Election in Chorlton-cum-Hardy Ward of Members of the City Council.
Six candidates. Messrs. Ed. Farrar, Harry Kemp, and John Turner elected.
1904. November 21, Electric Tram Service from Belle Vue to Seymour Grove, via Upper Chorlton Road, began.
1905. March 28, Chorlton-cum-Hardy Cycling Club founded.
1905. September, Golf Clubs New Club-House (Barlow Hall) and 18 hole course formally Opened by W. D. Batty, Esq.
1906. January 18, Parliamentary Election. Mr. Harry Nuttall elected.
1906. March 19, Last Public Performance given by the George Alexander Dramatic Club, in the Chorlton Public Hall; “The New Clown.”
1906 March 26, Chorlton Gas consumers, formerly supplied by the Stretford Gas Company, connected up with the Manchester Corporation mains.
1906 June 7, Foundation Stone of the McLaren Memorial Baptist Church laid by
Councillor J. H. Thewlis, J.P., Lord Mayor of Manchester.
1906 July 2, Oswald Road Temporary Council Schools opened.
1906. July 31, Rev. J. A. Kershaw, Primitive Methodist, commenced his ministry.
1906. July 30, Station-master Morgan entered upon his duties at Chorlton-cum-Hardy.
1906. October 7, Rev. W. E. George, M.A., began his ministry at the Unitarian Church.
1906 December 17, Amateur Gardeners’ Society founded.
1907. May 9. Electric Tram Service to Chorlton began. First car to the City left Chorlton 5 a.m.
1907. May 29, Opening Services at McLaren Memorial Church. Preacher: Rev.J. H. Shakespeare, M.A.
1907 August 10, Amateur Gardeners’ Society’s first show held in National Schools, Chorlton Green.
1907. September 1, Foundation Stone of Presbyterian School-Church laid.
1907 November 14, Chorlton Operatic Society formed.
January I, Rev. James Hodgson began his ministry at Union Chapel.
1908. January 2S, Commencement of the Corporation Tree-planting Scheme in Chorlton-cum-Hardy. First tree planted in Man¬chester Road.
1908. February 4, Enriqueta Augustina (‘Mrs. John Rylands), the founder of the magnificent Rylands Library, died at Longford Hall.
1908. March 15, Opening Services, Presbyterian School-Church. Preacher: Rev. Dr. Meharry.
1908. April 9. First Public Performance, “The Mikado,” by the Chorlton-cum-Hardy Operatic Society. Musical Director: Mr. T. M. Ferneley.
1908. July 17, Memorial Stone of Oswald Road Municipal Schools laid by Bishop Welldon. Dean of Manchester.
1908. August 1, Whalley Range High School for Girls transferred to Manchester Education Committee.
1908. November 23, Public Free Library, Oswald Road, opened.
1908. December 1, Sudden death of Dr. de Vlieger, Presbyterian Minister.
1909. March 8, Settlement of Rev. Sidney M. Berry, M.A., as Pastor of the Macfadyen Memorial Church.
1909. March 20. Emmanuel Free Church of England, Oswald Road, opened.
1909. April 26, Oswald Road Municipal Schools opened.
1909. October 11, Rev. C. Stuart-Kitchen (Emmanuel Free Church) commenced his ministry.
1909. November 20, Interment at the Southern Cemetery of Alderman J. Evans, the last surviving member of the Committee under whose auspices the Cemetery was laid out and opened.
Copyright © 2008 Anthony F Walker
Disclaimer: All rights reserved